Monday, 2 February 2015

Sewing my Anna Peplum hack!

I plan on making an Anna Dress for my cousin's wedding in May. I though I'd give the bodice a try first to check the fit and make a peplum top with a self drafted peplum. Ambitious but totally doable! I chose this black rose print fabric on sale from John Lewis and dove  straight in!

My measurements fell directly between a size 12 and 14 so I cut out a 14. Once I tried this the top just looked very baggy but the waist was correct so I traced the 12 top and graded out to a 14 for the waist and recut the fabric to this. This fixed the excess fabric at the top bar that included in the design. I sewed the bodice up apart from the zip and then used a top I already own to draft a peplum to add to the bottom.

And it turned out OK! I french seamed all of the inside and it looks beautiful! I think I still need to cut a slice out of the neckline of the dress as it has some excess fabric there which can look strange. I thought I might have to lower the neckline very slightly but in actually wearing this I realised that I didn't need to, it didn't catch my neck at all.
After I made the peplum I realised that I hadn't allowed enough space in the rear so added these little panels to either side of the centre back seam to make it wearable - I had my first major sewing error in the cutting of these panels when I cut into my already sewn right back peplum piece by accident! Thankfully I had enough material to cut a new piece and the extra panels, but it was pretty gutting!
Next I'm going to try a simplicity pattern that I got free with Sew Magazine which has a few options, dress, top, trousers and jacket. I'm going to start with the top because I love a good peplum and I'm in need of a few more formal work tops and if I find the right material this could work out as one.
And if you were wondering the amazing lip colour is a Lord and Berry Lip Pencil in shade 7805 - Vertige. 

Other posts you may be interested in...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...